Tifa Robles is the author of The Explorers of Azullucent, a young-adult fantasy novel currently on Kickstarter. Over 16 years in the making, this book features a trio of diverse female protagonists on an epic adventure of discovery. Tifa is no stranger to writing, being a regular contributor to the board game website Tabletop-Test. Her love for gaming continues as co-host GenCon’s TableTakes show and as founder and former organizer of the Lady Planeswalker Society, a community for introducing players to Magic: The Gathering.
In this episode, Tifa and I reunite after three years since her last appearance on Polygamer. We chat about how her book has evolved over almost two decades; the advantages of going the crowdfunding, self-published route; who she turned to for help with peer reviews, art design, and crowdfunding; how a degree in creative writing informs her non-fiction writing; how a minor in biological anthropology can be essential to developing empathy; the challenges and tricks to being a writer with dyslexia; and how she juggles it all with being a mom.
Stream the audio edition of this interview below or from iTunes, Stitcher, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Amazon Music, Overcast, Pandora, Pocket Casts, iHeartRadio, TuneIn, RadioPublic, or the Internet Archive. Click past the jump for links to resources mentioned in this episode.
Links mentioned in this episode:
- Tifa Robles on Twitter
- Lady Planeswalker Society
- Tifa’s writing for Tabletop-Test
- GenCon’s TableTakes
- Wavelength: A telepathic party game from the creators of The Mind and Monikers
- The Adventure Pub of Arlington, Mass.
- Mox Boarding House of Seattle, Wash.
- Kickstarter for The Explorers of Azullucent: A Young Adult Fantasy Novel by Tifa Robles
- Tara Theoharis of Charisma Consulting
- Ken Gagne in Strong Female Protagonist
- "Hating Comic Sans Is Ableist"
- Baby Games for Kids & Toddlers (iOS)
- Polygamer #47: Mike Robles on fighting & board games
Full disclosure: I have backed this Kickstarter at the $28 level.