Abbey Perl is the founder of the Diverse Gaming Coalition, a non-profit organization charged with ending bullying both online and off. Founded in 2016, the Diverse Gaming Coalition provides resources, education, and safe spaces by organizing events and entertainment media.
In this episode, I spoke with Abbey about her own experience with bullying and being doxxed; how her non-profit tackles bullying while also being fun; the story behind the group’s comic book, Life on the Outside; the difference between bullying and harassment, and whether solutions should be technological or societal; lessons learned from Abbey’s PAX East 2016 panel; and why WordPress is better than Wix.
Stream the audio edition of this interview below or from iTunes, Stitcher, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Amazon Music, Overcast, Pandora, Pocket Casts, iHeartRadio, TuneIn, RadioPublic, or the Internet Archive. Click past the jump for links to resources mentioned in this episode.
Links mentioned in this episode:
- The Diverse Gaming Coalition
- Life on the Outside comic book
- Polygamer #28: Benjamin Williams of the PAX Diversity Lounge
- “Trans-mission: The State of Trans in Gaming” at PAX East 2018
- “Teenager combats bullying with comics, creates campaign” (with audio)
- Doxxing defense: Remove your personal info from data brokers
- So You’ve Been Doxxed: A guide on what to do next
- Wix vs. WordPress