This week’s Polygamer podcast is the audio from the PAX East panel "+1 to Journalism: Becoming a Better Writer", held on Sunday, March 12, 2017, 4:00–5:00 PM in Bobcat Theatre.
What do you need to know to make it as a games journalist? What pitches do editors love to get, and what tropes have been done to death? Whether you’re helping consumers make informed purchasing decisions, unearthing the history of a franchise, or critiquing video games as art, you have to convey a lot of meaning in just a few words before the reader clicks away. Come hear veteran writers and editors share the best in games journalism and our own mistakes we’ve made along the way.
- Susan Arendt [Executive Editor, GamesRadar+]
- Jonathan Holmes [Writer, Destructoid & Nintendo Force]
- Ken Gagne [Digital Content Developer, Gamebits]
- Alexander Sliwinski [COO, Bithell Games]
Stream the audio edition of this interview below or from Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Amazon Music, Overcast, Pandora, Pocket Casts, iHeartRadio, TuneIn, RadioPublic, or the Internet Archive. Click past the jump for links to resources mentioned in this episode.
Links mentioned in this episode:
- Polygamers with Susan Arendt:
- Polygamer #61 with Jonathan Holmes
- Road Rules #5 with Jonathan Holmes
- "I’m going to miss tripping in Super Smash Bros. 4" by Jonathan Holmes
- "When Juggalos attack: A firsthand account of the Tila Tequila incident at the Gathering Of The Juggalos"
- Mass Effect 3 review by Susan Arendt
- Versus Books’ Completely Unauthorized Resident Evil 2 Perfect Guide
- Chuck Wendig