Jonathan Holmes is the former editor-in-chief of Destructoid and a frequent contributor to that site as well as many others, including Nintendo Force and A Profound Waste of Time. He is also a voice actor and a frequent speaker and panelist at video game conventions. Next week, he and I will be appearing on the PAX East 2017 panel "+1 to Journalism".
In advance of that event, this week Jonathan and I discuss the spat that YouTube celebrity PewDiePie is having with the Wall Street Journal over his anti-Semitism; the politics of managing a site such as Destructoid; how perception of skin color affects Jonathan’s reception both within his community and by GamerGate; why no journalist wants to write about Nintendo; and how he came to be a voice actor in 2064: Read Only Memories by MidBoss Games.
Links mentioned in this episode:
- Jonathan’s publications
- Disney Severs Ties With YouTube Star PewDiePie After Anti-Semitic Posts (Wall Street Journal)
- Pewdiepie apologizes for offensive jokes, claims media bias against him (Jonathan Holmes for Destructoid)
- PewDiePie Says WSJ Took Anti-Semitic Content Out of Context (Wall Street Journal)
- 2064: Read Only Memories
- Lisa: The Painful RPG
- Jonathan’s PAX East 2017 appearances:
- A Panel Moderated by AI (Friday at 3:30 PM in Condor)
- Going Retro in 2017: The Challenges of Yesterday and Today (Saturday at 12:30 PM in Arachnid)
- Podcasting: From Amateur to Pro-Caster (Saturday at 8 PM in Arachnid)
- +1 to Journalism: Becoming a Better Writer (Sunday at 4 PM in Bobcat)
- Edward F. Gagne on Polygamer