SeriouslyClara is a Twitch content creator who focuses on indie games. After being "tricked" into streaming by a friend, she came to love the community and the support they offered her in response to her honesty and authenticity. She now streams to her channel’s 22,000 subscribers several times a week, where she plays indie titles and promotes mental health awareness and body positivity. She recently spoke on the PAX West 2016 panel " So You Think Twitch Isn’t For You? Guess Again" and attended the second-ever TwitchCon.
This week, Clara and Ken talk about their mutual love for Owlboy and Skies of Arcadia; the tradeoff of playing triple-A games for a large audience instead of playing indie games for a more intimate crowd; the differences in performing for a live audience on Twitch vs. a delayed audience on YouTube; the challenges of being an introvert in the gaming community; and the societal expectations thwarted by living a childfree lifestyle.
Stream the audio edition of this interview below or from iTunes, Stitcher, Google Play Music, Mixcloud, Spoke, Overcast, acast, Pocket Casts, Castbox, TuneIn, RadioPublic, or the Internet Archive. Click past the jump for links to resources mentioned in this episode.
Links mentioned in this episode:
- Owlboy by D-Pad Studio
- Owlboy original soundtrack (OST) by Jonathan Geer
- Skies of Arcadia for Sega Dreamcast & Nintendo GameCube
- "The Childfree Life" in TIME Magazine (August 2013)
- Discord – Free Voice and Text Chat for Gamers
- ClaraGives game giveaways on Twitter
- Revlo Rewards (Twitch) & Gleam.io (YouTube)
- Sandbox Strategies — gaming PR & influencer relations
- TwitchCon 2016 (Sep 30–Oct 2 in San Diego, Calif.)
- Vancouver Twitch Meetup
- AFK Rooms by Take This
- Bad Rats
- Recording software: