Tatjana Vejnovic is a writer, editor, student, panelist, and former retailer. Her PAX East panel series on why it’s really rad being a woman in the games industry has run for three consecutive years, highlighting the strengths and opportunities available to women in a traditionally male-dominated business. When not on stage, she writes for video game website The Koalition, having previously written for several other websites, including one that provided an inside look at retailer GameStop from her years as a store manager. She’s currently launching her first mobile app development company.
In this episode, Tatjana and I discuss how to become a professional writer in the games industry; why it’s still really awesome to be a female in the games industry; how to seek investors and patent an idea for a mobile app; how to use a position of power and privilege to support marginalized voices; and how social anxiety manifests itself and what relief might be available from various medications and therapies. We also share stories from our respective GameStop careers, which for Tatjana was where she found value in helping others and where Ken felt helpless when working the day after 9/11.
Stream the audio edition of this interview below or from Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Amazon Music, Overcast, Pandora, Pocket Casts, iHeartRadio, TuneIn, RadioPublic, or the Internet Archive. Click past the jump for links to resources mentioned in this episode.
- Tatjana Vejnovic on Twitter
- Tatjana’s portfolio on The Koalition
- How I Became a Gamer: A Manifesto by Tatjana Vejnovic
- “How Life is Strange Helped Me Cope With Loss“
- PAX East 2016 panel: It’s Still Really Rad Being a Female in the Games Industry
- Owen Jones: On Sky News last night, I realised how far some will go to ignore homophobia
- Rachel Dolezal, National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) Spokane chapter president
- Susan Arendt of Take This on Polygamer
- Epistory on IndieSider
Podcast: Download (Duration: 1:30:28 — 42.3MB) | Embed
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Amazon Music | Pandora | iHeartRadio | Stitcher | TuneIn | RSS | More