Sarah Como is the Chief Operating Officer of Zephyr Workshop, developer of tabletop game A.E.G.I.S. and computer game Flora Fiora. Zephyr was born amidst Sarah’s recent education in the game design program at Becker College, which landed her on the PAX East panel "Full-Time Student, Part-Time Indie", in which she discussed juggling these dual roles. Since graduation, Sarah has become active in all aspects of Boston’s indie game scene, including working as PR manager for the Boston Festival of Indie Games (BostonFIG) and consultant for Green Door Labs.
In this episode of Polygamer, Sarah and Ken talk about the value of having a formal education in game design; the lasting appeal of board games in a digital age; best practices for Kickstarter crowdfunding; the role of geography and networking in getting your projects off the ground; and the occasional need to "lawyer up" before embarking on a new venture.
Download the audio edition of this interview below or from iTunes, Stitcher, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Spoke, Overcast, Pandora, Pocket Casts, iHeartRadio, TuneIn, RadioPublic, or the Internet Archive. Click past the jump for links to resources mentioned in this episode.
- Sarah Como on Twitter
- Zephyr Workshop on Twitter
- Green Door Labs
- Project AEGIS on Facebook
- Interactive media & game design at Becker College
- Zeboyd Games
- Jon Radoff of Disruptor Beam Studios
- Zephyr Workshop lead artist Breeze Grigas & lead developer Jesse Clark
- MassDiGI Challenge
- Mob Made Games & Emily Hancock
- Ori and the Blind Forest developed entirely remotely
- The Year Without Pants: WordPress.com and the Future of Work
- Zephyr Workshop at PAX East 2015
- Going Cardboard by Lorien Green
- Facebook event for Misbehavin’ Maidens on Kickstarter
- Boston Festival of Indie Games (Cambridge, MA; Sep 12, 2015)
- BostonFIG founder Fiona Cherbak on Polygamer
- The Expendables: How Game Development Standards are Inherently Harmful
- "Full-Time Student, Part-Time Indie"
- Worcester MASSive Comic-Con (Worcester, MA; June 27–28, 2015)