Jandy Hardesty is a prolific producer and consumer of media. As a film critic, she blogs at The Frame and contributes to Row Three, where she co-hosts the podcast Not at Odds. She’s also a prolific gamer, having poured dozens of hours into games such as Dragon Age: Inquisition and Mass Effect 2, often producing videos for her YouTube and Twitch channels. She does all this while holding a full-time job as a writer and producer and raising a toddler.
In this interview, Jandy and Ken discuss the difference between reviews and critiques; writing for a living versus writing for an avocation; the responsibilities and vulnerabilities of forsaking an editor in favor of a Patreon; how life changes once you become a parent; the time management skills that allow you to continue your geeky pursuits; and our favorite books, movies, Disney films, and video games.
Download the audio edition of this interview below or from Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Amazon Music, Overcast, Pandora, Pocket Casts, iHeartRadio, TuneIn, RadioPublic, or the Internet Archive. Click past the jump for links to resources mentioned in this episode.
- Jandy’s many blogs, channels & social outlets:
- Jandy’s top five video games:
- Deus Ex
- Grim Fandango
- Mass Effect 2
- Red Dead Redemption
- Knights of the Old Republic
- Scott Macmillan on parenting & gaming
- Among the Sleep
- "Playing With My Son: An experiment in forced nostalgia and questionable parenting"
- Jandy’s favorite books:
- The Hours
- Jandy’s favorite movies:
- Jandy’s favorite Disney movies:
- Eliza Dushku in Sex and Breakfast
- How does MST3K‘s Kevin Murphy pronounce Gagné?