Jandy Hardesty is a prolific producer and consumer of media. As a film critic, she blogs at The Frame and contributes to Row Three, where she co-hosts the podcast Not at Odds. She’s also a prolific gamer, having poured dozens of hours into games such as Dragon Age: Inquisition and Mass Effect 2, often producing videos for her YouTube and Twitch channels. She does all this while holding a full-time job as a writer and producer and raising a toddler.
In this interview, Jandy and Ken discuss the difference between reviews and critiques; writing for a living versus writing for an avocation; the responsibilities and vulnerabilities of forsaking an editor in favor of a Patreon; how life changes once you become a parent; the time management skills that allow you to continue your geeky pursuits; and our favorite books, movies, Disney films, and video games.
- Jandy’s many blogs, channels & social outlets:
- Jandy’s top five video games:
- Deus Ex
- Grim Fandango
- Mass Effect 2
- Red Dead Redemption
- Knights of the Old Republic
- Scott Macmillan on parenting & gaming
- Among the Sleep
- "Playing With My Son: An experiment in forced nostalgia and questionable parenting"
- Jandy’s favorite books:
- The Hours
- Jandy’s favorite movies:
- Jandy’s favorite Disney movies:
- Eliza Dushku in Sex and Breakfast
- How does MST3K‘s Kevin Murphy pronounce Gagné?