Take This is a non-profit charity founded in 2012 in response to the tragic suicide of a gaming journalist. The organization promotes awareness and education of mental health issues through outreach to gamers both online, through a variety of Twitter campaigns and initiatives, and offline, by hosting "AFK Rooms" at events such as PAX.
In this interview, Ken Gagne speaks with Take This co-founders Susan Arendt and Russ Pitts about the organization’s founding, the social stigma of mental health and gaming, the resources available to gamers, and the challenges the group faces as they grow to better serve the gaming community.
Download the audio edition below or from Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Amazon Music, Overcast, Pandora, Pocket Casts, iHeartRadio, TuneIn, RadioPublic, or the Internet Archive. Click past the jump for links to resources mentioned in this episode.
- Take This
- On Twitter:
- Dr. Mark Kline gets addicted to World of Warcraft
- "Ask Dr. Mark" column for The Escapist
- AFK Room at PAX Prime 2014
- Ways to support Take This:
- Take This responds to Robin Williams’ passing
- Fill in the blank: "Depression is _____" on Twitter
- Empathy games:
- Wil Wheaton on depression
- Less Than or Equal podcast
- Susan loses her water bottle (1:06:07–1:09:28)
- Foothills Theatre Company of Worcester, Mass.
Podcast: Download (Duration: 59:38 — 31.4MB) | Embed
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Amazon Music | Pandora | iHeartRadio | Stitcher | TuneIn | RSS | More